About the Volunteer in Paradise (VIP) Program
As a VIP Tutor, you provide one-on-one and small group instruction to students. You receive the training to become an effective, confident tutor and the opportunity to make a meaningful difference. If you would like to learn more please contact Marisha Geraghty, VIP Coordinator at (602) 449-2053 or via email.
Attend an orientation to find out whether the award-winning Volunteer In Paradise program is the right opportunity for you. Orientations are held once per month (with the exception of December) beginning in June and ending in February. Orientations are held at the Paradise Valley Unified School District Offices on 32nd Street, just south of Greenway Road, at 15002 N. 32nd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85032.
Our next Orientation dates are:
- Wednesday, June 19, 2019 from 9:00 to 11:00 AM
- Wednesday, July 17, 2019 from 9:00 to 11:00 AM
See the VIP Program in Action at Desert Shadows Elementary
2017 Golden Bell Promise Programs Award Winner
Arizona School Boards Association
PVSchools Volunteer in Paradise (VIP) program received the Arizona School Boards Association (ASBA) Golden Bell Promise Programs Award for Excellence in Collaboration during the Golden Bell Promise Programs Luncheon at the ASBA-ASA Annual Conference on Dec. 14th. The Golden Bell Promise Award recognizes school programs throughout Arizona that have shown outstanding successes in student growth.
2015 First Place Magna Award
National School Boards Association
Now in their 21st year, the Magna Awards recognize school districts and their leaders who take bold and innovative steps to improve the lives of their students and their communities. An independent panel of school board members, administrators and other educators selected the winners from nearly 250 submissions, and the presentation was made at NSBA's Annual Conference in Nashville on March 21, 2015.
Volunteer in Paradise! Recruitment for the 2019-20 School Year Is Now Under Way!
We are looking for dedicated, high-quality volunteers seeking meaningful opportunities to make a difference. Volunteer tutors are needed in all subject areas in kindergarten through grade 6. Opportunities may be available at one or more of the following elementary schools: Campo Bello, Desert Cove, Desert Shadows, Echo Mountain Intermediate, Echo Mountain Primary, Hidden Hills, Mercury Mine, North Ranch or Whispering Wind.
Our volunteers recommend the VIP program to friends and family seeking volunteer opportunities.
Our teachers report that the academic achievement of their students increases due to the additional academic intervention provided by our volunteers.
Our volunteers will:
- Work one-on-one or with small groups of children with the goal of increasing their achievement
- Serve as caring adult role models
- Receive professional training to prepare for working in a classroom
- Develop a supportive working relationship with teachers
- Become part of a school community
- Meet new friends through continuing education seminars and socials
- Volunteer at least one day per week for a predetermined schedule
- Work from one to ten hours per week during school hours
- Commit to the entire academic school year ending in May
- Complete a fingerprint background check upon making a commitment
- Attend the two-hour volunteer orientation and two half-days of professional training